Monday, March 10, 2014

Blog Entry2



            Food is necessary for every person and definitely it is important for me. In my family all pleasures in life are associated with food. For example, every family meeting or holiday relay on talking, eating, and sharing our experiences. Unfortunately, my everyday meals are not fancy, and they are not consumed with such care because I do not have much time to eat. Every day, I try to eat something before I run to school and forget that my body needs food to function properly. The white bread is an indispensable element of the Polish meals and especially breakfasts or suppers. In contrast to Americans, for this two meals we usually eat cold meat sandwiches with cheese and some vegetables which fast and easy fill the stomach . Dinner is the meal that I give more time and attention. Specially Sunday dinners are the meals that I prepare by myself and eat with my family and friends.
As I was born and raised in Poland, Polish dishes are most familiar for me so when it comes to eating my house is a typically Polish place. Before I got married and moved out from my home I had not cooked at all, but when I started my own family I appreciated homemade meals. Eating meals together integrate family and allows us to stop at least for a moment which is very hard during busy day. Food also reminds me many special moments that take place in my life. I cannot imagine Christmas without typical Polish Christmas dishes such as soup called “red borsht” or known by many foreigners “pierogi” with cabbage. In my culture,  carefully selected and well-prepared meals always accompany special occasions such as baptisms, weddings, or religious holidays. These moments are very important for all my relatives almost as much as food that we enjoy during these events.
 Food appears in many aspects of my life, and for most of the time it is traditional food that I know since I was a child. However, I am open to new experiences, and I gladly try cuisines from different corners of the world. I like to try food that I have never tasted before because this approach me to other people and teaches me respect for other cultures. I also like to share my food with others, so when I have some free time I put on my apron and cook or bake. Recently I realized that preparing food for my loved ones gives me a lot of satisfaction. For me even my husband’s Play Station soccer tournament with his friends is a good occasion to make some homemade goodies. It is not about cooking by itself but about trying new flavors and sharing emotions with other people. That is why food has great meaning for me.

3 comments: